Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Selling the House



My husband and I have put our house on the market. We had a five year plan which consisted of building a house and selling it to finance our own business venture. Selling a house in Alaska, hopefully, won't be such a problem as selling a house in other states. The economy in Alaska has stayed much stronger than many other states and the real estate market isn't in dire straits. We still have our military bases and the need for military housing hasn't gone away. We still receive a dividend ($1200 this year) and there haven't been too many business closures. The job market is a bit tougher, but it's there.

The house isn't anything too fancy or expensive. I will give myself a pat on the back and go so far as to say the landscaping is phenomenal. My husband and I worked very hard on our gardens and have invested a lot of time and money to make our property appealing. We have tested many perennials available to Alaskans and found the plants which work best for our location. We even created a separate climate zone for touchy plants with a southern exposure rock garden. One of my favorite hardy plants is the anemone. The delicate white petals give way to interesting seed heads after a long bloom time. A good year gives two bloom periods. It will spread as much as you let it. The same goes for Catchfly. It's a cute, mounding plant with a purple and white flower that releases seeds from a pod once the flower has peaked. Great for rock gardens, it pairs well with another vigorous plant, SilverMound. SilverMound looks like a light green, fluffy pillow and has a wonderful scent. Their growth rate and size always astonish me.
In any case, I hope the next owner appreciates the plants and enjoys the peaceful environment we've created. I need to sell the property very soon, so I'm praying someone falls in love with this place before I go crazy trying to keep everything perfect for house showings.

No comments:

Post a Comment